Antivirus scanning error
With the constantly increasing risk of online threats like malware, viruses, phishing attacks, ransomware etc, it becomes very important to keep your antivirus at its peak performance. However, there are some errors that are continuing to create a lot of nuisance for the antivirus users. One such error is antivirus scanning error. An antivirus is absolutely worthless if it isn’t scanning the files and detecting the viruses. There are a lot of issues and reasons why an error in Antivirus scanning can occur in your Antivirus software.
If this type of problem is also present in your computer system then let me tell you that your PC is under a constant threat of virus attacks. However, you need not worry at all. Just read this tutorial to know why you are facing Antivirus not scanning issue and how you can fix it.
What are the causes of Antivirus scanning error?
Before moving on to the steps to fix error in Antivirus scanning, you should have a look at some of the reason why this error occurs.
- Computer system clock not updated: If the clock of your PC is not showing correct time then you may face various error in your Antivirus. Incorrect time-zone is one of the main reasons why your PC shows incorrect time.
- Missing Antivirus update: Every Antivirus requires latest virus definition updates to work properly. In case you miss any update then you may have to face error in Antivirus scanning.
- Using more than one antivirus: You should note that your antivirus software can’t scan if you have another antivirus installed on your PC.
- Conflict with other software installed on your PC: The antivirus scanning issues may also arise due to a software conflict of your antivirus with any other software installed in your PC. The software like CCleaner is often known for creating software conflict with the antivirus.
- Virus infection in your PC: If your PC is already infected with virus or malware then you may have to face Antivirus scanning issues. Most of the viruses are designed to block antivirus scanning so that they can remain undetected.
How the fix error in Antivirus Scanning?
Here is the step by step method to resolve Antivirus scanning error. You should follow these steps one by one to check if you are able to scan files using your antivirus or not.
- First of all, you need to restart your computer. Most of the time, a simple restart can fix error in Antivirus scanning.
- It is recommended that you should restart your PC in safe mode.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of the antivirus software. Additionally, all the latest updates are installed in your Antivirus.
- If your antivirus won’t scan in Windows 10 PC then you should make sure that all the windows updates are installed in your PC.
- Ensure that another antivirus is not installed on your PC. If it is so then you should disable the previously installed antivirus.
- If you have any other software in your PC that can interfere with your antivirus then you should disable it.
- Perform a repair installation of your Antivirus software.
- In case the error persists then you should uninstall the antivirus and scan your PC with another antivirus. It seems your PC is infected with a virus that is blocking the scan from antivirus; the other antivirus may detect and remove it.
- In case you started to face error in Antivirus scanning after making some changes in your PC then you should perform a system restore.
Note: Please note that we have provided generalized steps common for all antiviruses. These steps may slightly vary for different antivirus brands such as AVG, Avast, Avira, Norton, Quick heal etc.
After following all these steps, you should able to fix Antivirus scanning problems. However, if the error continues to appear then you should talk to the customer service of your Antivirus brand.
Precautions to fix Antivirus scanning issues
You may take the following precautions so that you won’t have to face Antivirus problem ever again.
- Enable auto-update feature of the antivirus so that you never miss an antivirus update.
- No need to double up the security. One antivirus is enough to protect you against all security threats.
- Always keep correct time in your computer system.
- Don’t forget to check the system requirement before installing the antivirus.